City of London, London, UK
Executive / 5 years +
Building a global insurance safety net that is simple, easy to understand, and accessible to all.
MIC Global (MIC) is a full-stack technology-focused insurance company. MIC has brought together sales, distribution, products, and technology to focus on new insurance opportunities coming from the new digital economy for billions of people and millions of micro and small businesses globally. MIC provides insurance to internet platforms and millions of micro & small businesses. At MIC, we are changing the insurance business. We are constantly working to create insurance policies that do exactly what insurance is supposed to do – provide a safety net to help people recover quickly from problems large and small. Over the last 300 years, insurance has not done such a great job of this, globally few people buy, and it’s seen as complicated, expensive, and untrustworthy.
We are dedicated to changing this perception of insurance, and we are doing this through our actions. So far, we have issued over 3 million policies in 15 countries, and we are not slowing down anytime soon. We believe recovering from adversity should not be a privilege for only the wealthy and the few, which is why we are committed to distributing insurance to the world’s low and middle-income people and micro businesses. To make insurance accessible, we are often required to solve complex problems. Every country we operate in requires different solutions that are unique to that region. Thus, we have created and implemented many innovative financial services which are distributed through e-commerce partners and platforms, banks, mobile networks, and mobile wallets.
At MIC, we pledge to share our skills and ideas to enable other insurance companies to grow their businesses and reach more people. We believe together, we can reach 4 billion people.
As the central point of contact for all Syndicate-related matters including finance, business planning, and underwriting performance management, you will be a core member of the Underwriting Leadership team supporting the Active Underwriter to develop the annual Lloyd’s business plan, working to ensure its metrics are achieved, and supporting MIC overall to grow profitably. The focus of your work will involve:
- Enabling the smooth running of MIC Global Syndicate 5183.
- Supporting the Active Underwriter by leading the annual Syndicate business planning process.
- Ensuring relationships with the Managing Agent, Lloyd’s, regulators, brokers, and FAL providers are well managed.
- Ensuring the day-to-day activities of the Syndicate are managed in line with Lloyd’s minimum standards and Managing Agent expectations.
- Being a member of the Syndicate Management Committee (Syndicate-In-A-Box version of a Syndicate Board).
- Work closely with the Managing Agent around financial planning, oversight, and reporting of the Syndicate’s finances and KPIs.
- Supporting MIC’s ExCo by leading ad-hoc special projects.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Annual Lloyd’s Business Plan: Work with the Active Underwriter to ensure timely submission of the annual Syndicate business plan and subsequent revisions. Ensuring feedback and input from Lloyd’s, the Managing Agent, and capital partners (where appropriate) is sought. Involving input from the Syndicate’s Actuarial, Finance, Underwriting, Sales, and Leadership teams. Work with the Underwriting, Sales, Finance, and Leadership Teams to ensure that MIC’s overall annual business aligns appropriately with that of the Syndicate. Manage the relationship with MIC’s Member’s Agent.
- Central Contact on Syndicate Matters: Act as the central point of contact for Syndicate matters to ensure that MIC’s Leadership Team, Managing Agent, and Lloyd’s are aware of relevant Syndicate matters, to ensure that they are aligned to efficiently support the Syndicate’s plan, with any issues being escalated and resolved as appropriate. Work with the Active Underwriter and relevant MIC Teams to address any queries from the Syndicate’s Managing Agent, Lloyd’s, or regulators.
- Financial Management & Reporting: Manage all aspects of Syndicate reporting, accounting, and finance working with MIC’s central Finance team and the Managing Agent. Be the key point of contact for technical queries with regards to financial reporting. Work closely with stakeholders in reserving, capital modelling, finance and management information to improve the quality of information reported to Lloyd’s. Ensure the Syndicate complies with the Managing Agency and Lloyd’s timetables for reporting and business planning, including the review of reports and sign-off by the Syndicate before submission to the Managing Agency or Lloyd’s. Review feedback or queries relating to the Syndicate’s Lloyd’s returns and ensure that any conclusions or actions that should be drawn from them are appropriately actioned.
- Syndicate Operations: Work with the Claims, Underwriting Operations, Operations, Technology, and Finance teams to ensure the day-to-day operations of the Syndicate we properly managed. Work with the MIC and Managing Agent teams as required agreeing on timetables and deliverables around Syndicate projects, and acting as a project manager where appropriate.
- Underwriting Management: Oversee the development and production of high-level reports relating to Syndicate performance to facilitate management decision-making relative to short, medium, and long-term business strategies of the Syndicate. Work with the Syndicate’s and Managing Agent’s Data & MI teams to provide underwriting KPI data/management information to support the optimisation of underwriting performance within the Syndicate – to use the same or similar reports for the Syndicate overall. Attend Syndicate Management Committee and other Syndicate Committee meetings and ensure actions from meeting minutes are completed. Lead work within relevant MIC teams to ensure all external audit and Managing Agent review action points are addressed within appropriate timescales.
- Managing Agent & Lloyd’s Relationships: Manage, with the Managing Agent, the relationship with Lloyd’s and regulators.
- Strategic Projects & Growth: Support the Leadership Team on strategic growth objectives by assessing new opportunities that may be suitable for the Syndicate. Undertake strategic planning and ad-hoc projects as directed to support the growth and profitability of the Syndicate. Support the Innovation Underwriters and Sales in assessing new business opportunities.
You’ll also get a chance to be part of:
🌍 Global team expansion: Building up a world-class team of talented and passionate people.
- 5+ years experience working in Syndicate management, actuarial, finance, or underwriting management with a Lloyd’s Syndicate or Managing Agent
- Qualified accountant or actuary
- Relevant experience, education, and/or professional qualifications in business, insurance, finance, accounting, and/or actuarial
- Experience developing and overseeing business strategies relevant to Lloyd’s businesses – particularly developing Lloyd’s annual business plans
- Strong financial analysis, analytical, negotiation, relationship management and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of the Lloyd’s, FCA, and PRA regulatory environment; relevant management and corporate governance framework; and Syndicate capital requirements
- Strategic understanding of underwriting risk
- Highly curious about new ideas in insurance and broadly worldwide
- Ability to promote own profile and the Syndicate within the industry
- Motivated learner, willing to operate outside of the box
- Innovative thinking – willing to design non-traditional claims systems
- Ability to define and resolve complex problems
- Ability to negotiate, influence and effectively disseminate knowledge and articulate opinion, whilst maintaining awareness of the commercial environment
- Ability to use appropriate insurance and non-insurance systems to the technical level required
- Self-motivated with the ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Proactive approach to work with the capability to plan, prioritise and handle the workload to ensure expectations of stakeholders are effectively managed
- Evidence of assessment and interpretation of claims requirements across multiple lines of business
- Evidence of developing frameworks and processes to manage and monitor claims performance across an organization
- Fluency in spoken and written English will be essential
- Part or fully qualified CII / CPCU
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish
- Experience working with a Lloyd’s Syndicate and/or Consumer Business
- Bonus and Share Unit Potential
- You will be working for a company that has talented colleagues and a passionately focused culture
- Extensive potential for growth and professional development
- Opportunity to have a large impact at MIC Global through the development of the claims policies, procedures, and guidelines as well as growing the claims team
City of London, London, UK
Active Underwriter: Erik Johnson | LinkedIn
Dotted Line Reporting:
Head of Finance: Chetan Dharamshi | LinkedIn